Hospital, Day 11: 2/14/17 - Strange Song to Hear from a Kid’s Toy on such an unusual Valentine’s Day

“This night is mine
It's only you and I
Tomorrow is a long time away
This night can last forever”

These are the lyrics to the Billy Joel song “This Night”.  You’re probably thinking that since this is a Valentines Day blog, that’s why I quoted them.  Well it’s not, it’s because the music from this song somehow ended up in a baby mobile that the hospital is letting us use to put our baby to sleep.  I heard it playing and was thinking to myself “I know that song.”  Once I figured it out, I thought “what is a song about a one night stand doing in a baby’s mobile?”.  Very strange indeed. 


Then I also got to thinking, thinking what a strange chorus to hear on a day like today (if you forget the rest of the lyrics).  Valentines Day, Heather and I hadn’t seen each other for 4 days.  Because of some great friends that we have, I was able to make a day trip out to Denver to get her some things she forgot and give her some much needed relief and company.  We’ve both been having some serious spouse withdrawal symptoms.  Here’s the alternate lyrics to the chorus:

“But this night you're mine
It's only you and I
I'll tell you to forget yesterday
This night we are together”

Couldn’t fit better.  But I haven’t been there of course, she’s been (and is again) alone with our son for what has seemed like an eternity, waiting for the doctor’s to give the okay to take the pump out of his brain.  All by herself with no one to talk to but a 6 week old.  Eagerly waiting night after eternal night for any sign of being able to finally pack up and go home to her husband and 4 daughters.

“This night is mine
It's only you and I
Tomorrow is a long time away
This night can last forever”

Kinda interesting, right?  Anyway, it was a great Valentine’s Day…if only because I got to spend time with the love of my life.  That’s the most important part of the holiday anyway.

Comments