June 14, 2016 - Open Mics

June 14, 2016

Open Mic?

Today was quite eventful.  We took the whole family to a coffee shop that we just learned existed.  The point of the trip was to discuss the possibility of hosting an open mic there.  What we didn’t realize is that the coffee shop has a 298 capacity event room with a stage!!  Talk about the perfect opportunity!!

The stage is incredible
.


The coffee and the food were very good, yet the place opened just in November, so it seemed to have plenty of room to grow.  Talk about the perfect recipe for a crazy guy like me to come in and try to get them on board for an open mic.

We hope to help them out and vice versa by seeing if we can’t garner some interest in their shop by creating a family friendly weekly event.   I’ll let you know what she says. 

Historic Buildings are Perfect for Musical Performances

Wanna Beat Stage Fright?  Screw Up On Stage!!

The other thing is that I was able to conquer stage fright to a degree…I learned how to mess up.    I didn’t grow up onstage, I don’t naturally have good stage presence.  But tonight, I completely butchered a song on stage at an open mic night at Avogadro’s Number in Fort Collins.  I laughed it off and no one cared.  I couldn’t even finish the song, but I asked to switch it out for another one and everyone was excited to hear it.  I was actually quite comfortable onstage for once!!! Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Pretty Nice Set Up, Including indoor & outdoor stages.
I am excited to see my stage presence improve.  We have a two point plan on how to work on it, one point being emceeing and performing at an open mic, and the other being performing for people online.  With four kids, we don’t have the luxury to just go out and perform constantly.
Not me, but it is the right stage.
Keep tabs on us to watch our performances grow, and please let us know how we are doing.

- Paul

Comments