March 5, 2017 - Family Day Walk & Drooling over Theremin's

Family

We went on a walk today, got the kids out for the first time in a long while.  They sure needed it.  We walked to Lion’s Park, about a mile away from our house.  They got some much needed running and playing taken care of.  I love when we take family days.  Quite boring to blog about though.  Sometimes kids just gotta be outside all day.

Work

I did almost zero work today, which is great.  It is a Sunday after all.  I did look into getting a Moog Theremin though.  The Theremini to be exact.  If you don’t know what that is, it’s can be described as one of the oldest electronic instruments that is controlled by moving your hand away from two antennas, one that controls pitch and one that controls volume. 

The theremin seems like to me that it is probably among the most difficult instruments to play, because you don’t even touch it at all and have to use precise small movements to change the pitch.  I’ve wanted one for years, but I am extremely interested in this particular model for a couple of reasons.  First of all, it has a lot of beginner friendly features.  There’s a built in tuner that helps you see if you are staying in tune with your right hand’s positioning.  You can also adjust the pitch sensitivity, making it easier to find the notes, thus training a new player.

But for me the coolest feature is the ability to plug in specific scales and keys.  This to me is worth the price of admission.  I have so many ideas for what to do with that thing.  “So what does instruments do you play in your band?”  “Well we’re duel ukuleleists, Heather tap dances and I play the theremin.” “HUH?” 

The best part of this is that it has a $300 price tag.  I am seriously considering allocating some of our tax return to getting one.  And Heather is okay with it…

Comments