January 14, 2017 - I Gotta Figure Out How to Make Chores Fun

Tomorrow is my daughter’s 6th birthday.  I’m starting to feel like I’m getting old.  That’s okay, I don’t really mind the idea of getting old, but the realization that I’ve spent about 1/3 of my full time duties with my oldest daughter is starting to make me think. 

Seems like yesterday.
I absolutely HATE cleaning, and I’ve mentioned before that we do a lot of it around here with four mobile children.  I feel like it takes up way too much of our time.  And the kids are no good at it you know…I mean what kid wants to clean.  Our strategy for getting them to clean hasn’t been working.  They spend all of my shift with them cleaning up their room while I clean the upstairs.  I feel like something has to change…

They dumped out all their toys...then fled the scene.
So I came up with an idea.  Instead of our current approach…leaving two kids five years old (6 in 20 minutes) and four years old to themselves to clean…then wondering why it’s taking them so long…I think I can make it quicker and more fun.  Starting Monday, We are going to work together first upstairs…then on to their room.  And to make it fun, we are going to time ourselves, log the times, and try to beat the record everyday.  Then we are going outside.

 Our backyard desperately needs us to go outside

Sure the cleaning needs to be done, and we are trying to teach our kids to finish their work before they play…but for crying out loud we can’t spend every waking moment cleaning…there is life to live.  In fact…I’m going to go now and ring in my daughter’s birthday with her…
My 6 year old (!!) making me laugh.  😄

Comments