November 14, 2016 - Back at it Again

Back at it Again - Monday, November 14, 2016

Today was a great day.  I finally feel back in the groove...if you can't tell it's been awhile since I've written one of these.  But today is a good day to get back on it. 

Why do I feel so re-energized?  Well, I had 3 students today...the first time in a long time that I've had that many back to back, and they were all returning students. 

My first was Justin...he used to come to our shop back in the day.  My wife and I both taught him bass.   He was incredible then...now he's definitely going to surpass my skills at some point in the future.  He's learning Country lead, something I've always wanted to get deep into, but never have.  Now I have to keep 1-2 steps ahead of him or he's going to be teaching me.

Justin playing his old instrument.

My second was Julian.  Back in the day, he was one of my first students at the shop's first location.  He was learning guitar, now we've moved on to vocal training.  He sings for his church, and wants to expand his range a little bit.  Very exciting...he had no idea we were even back in town until we saw him at his job a few weeks ago.

Julian at the old shop.

Finally, I had Alexander.  We restarted lessons several months ago, but today was the first day that he was the last of a block of students.  Alexander was my 5th student ever.  I started teaching him back in 2008, the year I met Heather.  Now he's taller than me...and learning some very intricate techniques.  Today I had him write a lead part and a separate bass part that we initially played as a duo.  Then I had him combine the two parts into one and figure out how to play it.  Took a little bit of time (it was tough) but he got it!!

That's good form for an 11 year old.



I'm back up to 10 students now...I once had 50 a week back in the old days.  We'll see if I can get back up close to that number.  Here is a pic of the wall of fame (pics of many of our students) from the shop.


Comments